Notes on Projects on the Go

The best friend of prolific knitting is time. And thankfully, in the last little while, I have had a fair bit of time to spend knitting. But, its coupled with an extended time away from home, which means I had to choose only a part of my stash to bring with me! I chose my current major wip (work in progress), all my sock yarn and the bag of stash I had put together to make beanies and bits and pieces to sell. But, horror, I'm getting to the end of it! But not to the end of my travel just yet! 

What's the strategy I use for managing my projects? There is constantly a pair of socks on the go, and the next ones in mind. The major jumper wip has been finished, and this weekend the ends even managed to be woven in, so its officially an fo (finished object). With that one off the needles I needed a second larger piece, so on Friday I started a colourwork cowl to match the jumper, for when I want to be even toastier. I have an entire matchy matchy outfit planned around that jumper for a festival later in the year. 


All finished! Except for the ends
For something fun, and very necessary, I found a pattern for a pair of cabled wrist warmers based on a pair from "Outlander" (is anyone else a fan?). I used the same yarn combination as I made my Ryelight socks (Tin Can Knits) in, so they are also matchy matchy. Are you seeing the theme here?  The cables turned out so beautifully, and I loved the feeling of surprise and satisfaction as it came together, and I worked how that was happening. They'll be used under jumpers to cover that space between my hands and the end of the sleeve of all my "long" sleeve tops. 


The coolest pair of  socks to be matched
All the while, I've also had a beanie on the go, using that stash I mentioned earlier. It's all yarn I like but won't use myself, and bits and bobs that need to be used in a stripe cos they are the tail ends of balls I've already used. I'm building up a little collection now, which is quite pleasing. 

What else? Another cowl-the stunning Miriam cowl (Vanessa Knits) with the most beautiful, soft, pale pink yarn from Garden Wool and Dye, which I'm so excited to block and wear. The only problem with the yarn is the AU - US $ conversion and postage, so it turned out to be a pretty valuable piece! But I love it, and I need to travel to the US with a spare suitcase to buy everything soft and squishy and beautiful from all the clever dyers over there. 

So stunning, so soft
Can't forget my super comfy Kia socks, from Dawn Landix, who is so generous in sharing the pattern. The second pair are almost off my needles. The kal (knit along) is happening all year so I think there might even be a third pair coming! 


Any other knitters out there, or makers, want to share how you keep your wips to a manageable level? Anyone else have something you'd like to ask? Thanks for popping in to read my little notes. See you next week!



Comments

Popular Posts