Notes on Value

Why do I knit? Because I enjoy it. A lot. And if I'm idle and not knitting I feel fairly lost. These are things to explore more another time. But I ask it because if I knit for my own enjoyment, how I do move into charging people for the things I make? 

Far and away, I have knitted (and crocheted) garments for myself. Often they don't turn out quite right, or I choose the colours specifically for my wardrobe, or the fit especially for my long arms. These probably aren't pieces that will make someone else happy. But in the last year or so, I have made things for other people. And they've (apparently) loved receiving and wearing/using them. Thinking about the person and trying to choose colours they'll like and a design that they'll wear is fun. Making a piece with them in mind is motivating and reflective. And they are kind enough to forgive the errors of a hobbyist and accept and love the pieces, flaws and all.


Present in progress
It seems like a big leap to then make pieces which are ready to wear and sell them. To ask people to pay for something I love making. And to ask for a fair price, one that reflects the labour and time and skills that go into something. I suppose its easy to forget just how many skills are required to craft a finished piece. And so many are learnt through mistakes, through experience too. A lot of people can't make their own socks and jumpers. They compliment things I wear, then marvel when I can say "I made this". So then, surely, there is monetary value in my craft. 


Happy to try on something new!

Like so many of us, I undervalue my time. I could never charge an hourly "rate" for a knitted garment. Who knows how many hours I've spent on bits and pieces (actually, Netflix could probably tell me)? It would be exorbitant, and that's not the point of the whole thing.

My aim is to have people both enjoy/appreciate what I can do, and also value it enough to pay for it. Then to wear something with pride, to be glad to own a piece of knitwear made by me. The goal of starting down this whole track was to share the feeling of "keeping warm". But I can't always give away what is a skill, what does have value besides the intrinsic. So, soon hopefully, I will decide on a price. Maybe someone will buy it. Maybe someone will think "yes, that is worth that amount to me" and "I'm glad to show my appreciation of this skill by making a purchase". 

What do you think? What is a hobby worth? I want to know (and I won't be offended if you don't think it's worth much more than a cup of coffee). The past few months I've been working on a "stock" of beanies and cowls, with the intention of offering them for sale come the cooler part of the year. Keep your eyes peeled, if that's something you're interested in. And talk to me-I love talking about knitting, funnily enough, and am always happy to talk to someone who's curious about it. See you next week!


Bit of self-promotion



Comments

Popular Posts