Notes on Festival Jumpers and Dancing

Finally! After a month of travel and life busyness I'm in Wagga, just for a couple of weeks. But, it's a chance to be in a routine and be comfortable at home. Coming up is my first test knit (!) and also I set up the loom on the weekend so that will be in the background. 

My Easter weekend was spent at the National Folk Festival in Canberra. This was my 5th time attending the festival, all of them as a volunteer, and I absolutely love it. I honestly can't overstate how fun, friendly and all round incredible the Folky is. There is every kind of folk music under the sun, with delightful performers and just the loveliest vibe. This was my first chance to wear a few of the knits I made over summer which was really fun. Being the details oriented, organised to the hilt person I am, I pre-arranged my outfits, packed them together in packing cells and matched my socks. It was great. Here's a snapshot of my festival evenings, if you haven't already seen them on insta. 

Matchy Matchy jumper + cowl, Ryelight socks, Outlander gauntets

Fairy lights!

Ninilchik swoncho

Knitting my newest shawl

Matchy matchy jumper + Waiting for Rain

Hands down, my favourite part of the weekend was the dancing. Dancing in Contra, Irish Ceili and Scottish dance workshops. Late night dance parties to incredible bands like 19-Twenty, Melisande and Manran. Waltzing to the Cope Street Parade. Watching a tiny child replicate bagpipe playing and bopping to Manran when I saw them for the second time. Jumping like a bean to Greska and joyously conga-ing with Abraska. There have been so few opportunities for me to see live music over the past 8 months so I try and make the most of the chances I get. My next placement is in Canberra and I'm hoping to head to some lessons while I'm there. 

Fairy lights front and centre!

My fellow volunteers are also super inspiring and delightful, its so lovely to come back year on year and see the same people, and also meet a heap of new ones. Hopefully I'm able to attend again next year, probably with new knits! This is such a nice way to spend Easter, when your family is far away and you don't want to hang around home for such a long holiday weekend. 

The hashtag #todaysknitoutfit has been the catalyst for me to take so many photos of myself and post them. When I started my instagram account I wasn't confident enough to post photos of myself, but they have been the ones getting most "liked". So, expect to see more of my face in knitwear. Wagga is cold and I'm making the most of wearing my handknits while I can. I think I will expand on this a bit more because I really started the account to just focus on the things I was knitting, not so much on the life around them. But then, I've started this blog because I do want to expand more on my thoughts and feelings about the knitting. Keep your eye out..

Do you have any favourite dance bands? Or Easter destinations? Or do you, like me, match your socks with your tops? Let my know if you think any of these outfits are worth a repeat. I should be back to weekly posts now, so I will write again soon. Ellen


Comments

Popular Posts