Notes on Supporting Marginalised Voices

Hello. It's been another big news week in the fibre/crafting/knitting community, with Ravelry's decision to ban support of Trump as it is open support of white supremacy. This comes after 6 months of debate and often vitriol, as BIPOC in the knitting community have been speaking up and out about the insidious racism that exists in a community perceived to be for white, straight, upper middle class white women. 

Throughout the (debate? As far as I'm concerned there's only one side that needs to be talking) past 6 months I've been reading and thinking, and following those who are fighting the fight for marginalised voices. These women are shouldering enormous emotional labour and abuse, while white women like myself are allowed to sit back. I have been unfollowing those who haven't been able to demonstrate genuine interest in addressing racism and under-representation in their businesses, and those who have been anti-racist. I will be making deliberate decisions in my purchases of patterns and yarn in the future.

But I haven't been posting or speaking about it on my instagram or on the blog. Why? There's a few reasons. I know that it isn't good enough, and I am endeavouring to do better. 

- I have a small group of followers and didn't feel that my space would effectively amplify the important voices. But now I am seeing that we need to be a tide, made up of many.
- I don't think that me as a privileged, cis-het, size 10-12 white woman would be a good person to speak out, as I can't truly understand the experience of marginalised groups, and doing so would probably be self-serving.
- My own time and mental health has been consumed by completing the last part of my degree, and I was conserving energy for self-care. I recognise that my privilege affords this to me, and those doing the vast majority of the work don't have this choice. I can't work out how practice effective self-care and spread my energy further. But I want to try, and I'm open to suggestions. 

Last week I voiced support of Ravelry on my stories and I want to keep doing what I can to spread the work of the BIPOC and other marginalised groups. I won't be directly linking to any of those who are doing the work, because I don't want to them to face backlash from me doing that.
Handspun: time for thinking

What will I be doing in the future? Trying to have those difficult conversations with those around me. Evaluating yarn stores and sellers so I can support those which are supporting BIPOC. When I begin working I will be making monetary donations to multiple women who have been carrying this work, because I feel this is an effective way to show my support. And I will be listening to them, reading their words, and thinking about how I can change for the better. And then acting, to help address systemic white supremacy. I want to be an ally, and I need to learn how to do it. I am happy to be contacted if you ever see any way I can improve on this. Thank you. I hope you are warm and supported wherever you are this week. Ellen

Comments

Popular Posts