Why Knitting?

Why indeed? Why devote so much of my time and energy to using two straight bits of wood/plastic/metal/ to make loops in a long piece of fibre? Loses a bit of its Romanticism when put like that, doesn't it? 

To me, knitting is an expression of love. Its a tangible, hold-able, snuggle-able piece of love shared. (I mostly knit. If you don't knit but make something out of love, hopefully you can still relate (I want you to relate)). It's time, thought, money and energy put into a deliberate process. A lot of the time, it's a form of self care for me. To make something for myself, to be able to take that out of my wardrobe and put it on, feels like past me caring for present me. The action of knitting is a huge part of my daily self-care and allows space for thoughts while keeping my hands busy. I also knit because I really love the aesthetic. I love how many variations of knitted jumpers there are. I love having woolen items to wrap up in now the weather has cooled down. I love the different kinds of drape and structure you can achieve with knitted fabric. It can be done as slowly or as quickly as you feel like at the time.

Knitting has another perk of being the ideal take-anywhere, do-anytime hobby. Airport? Knit. Car trip? Knit. Walking? Knit. Recently I went to a gig, on my own, and having driven I wasn't about to keep a drink in my hand all night. What did I do? Took my sock in progress and knitted. It calmed me and also started a conversation with the two lovely women sitting next to me. As well, now when I wear the socks they are ingrained with that memory. 

Here's a few of my recent knits, and recent knitted outfits. These clothes and pieces make me happy, so happy, and keep me warm, which is the point, really. Sorry for all the pictures of myself, but this is (largely) a one-woman show. That's all for this week (and the past month). 

Ninilchik


Matchy matchy

Hacked Lincraft pattern

Woodcove socks preview-one of those legs was knitted in the dark in Canberra

Long time favourite jumper



Comments

Popular Posts